Thursday, 24 September 2009

Blanket warning and electrical safety tests in Neath Port Talbot

Statistics released by the Mid and West Wales Fire and Rescue service have revealed that they attended 90 accidental dwelling fires last year within Neath Port Talbot - 17% of those fires were caused by electrical faults.

In a testing exercise carried out last year, NPT Trading Standards found that 40% of blankets tested were unsafe.

Council Leader Ali Thomas said: "These figures are startling and of a major concern to me and the council. To help prevent local residents from adding to these statistics, the Council and Fire and Rescue service are working together to offer a free electric blanket test as well as a free home Fire safety check.

"Officers will replace any blankets that are unsafe free of charge if you sign up for the home safety check."

Ken Wall County Commander for Neath Port Talbot Area said, "The Home Fire Safety Check will not just see faulty blankets replaced, it will also allow our personnel to install 10 year battery smoke alarms, as well as offering advice in the event of an emergency situation arising".

Local residents need to bring their electric blanket along to

Monday, September 28, Pontardawe One Stop Shop, Holly Street, Pontardawe.

Tuesday, September 29, Port Talbot Civic Centre.

Wednesday, September 30, Neath Civic Centre.

Experts will run the FREE safety check by appointment only from 9am to 4.30pm.


Post a Comment

| Home | Main Site | About Us | Contact Us | Follow us on Twitter | Join us on Facebook |