Thursday 27 August 2009

Evans looking to make up for lost time

Ian Evans hopes to make up for lost time by hitting the ground running in the Magners League this season.

Wales lock Evans suffered a major knee injury in the November defeat against New Zealand nine months ago.

But the Ospreys star has been set a target of September 25 to return to playing action from the ligament injury in his right knee.

Evans 25, said: "It's feeling okay and I have just got to get used to being on it. I've had months resting it and only started running six to eight weeks ago.

"To be injured again was, to say the least, a bit frustrating. I suffered a shoulder injury against Cardiff Blues two years earlier and only came back for part of the 2007 World Cup.

"I guess I have got to be positive. Hopefully, this is the end of the bad luck which has dogged me. Fingers crossed, I'm rid of the injuries."

Evans, who has won 16 caps for Wales, is aiming for a fresh start under new Ospreys director of coaching Scott Johnson.

And he reckons the Australian, who takes charge of his first competitive match against Connacht next Friday, can lead them to Magners League glory.

He said: "There is a lot of expectation on us. Perhaps we have to realise, if we perform well, the results will take care of themselves.

"I suppose we could be compared to a football team with big names.

"But just because we have got the players it doesn't mean we have only got to turn up to win. We need to concentrate on playing together.

"I have been very impressed with Scott's man-management, he has brought new ideas in.

"He's bringing us together and is very innovative.

"We want to win trophies and I think the new play-off system will help us in the Magners League. We've won it a couple of times before and want to again."



0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
| Home | Main Site | About Us | Contact Us | Follow us on Twitter | Join us on Facebook |