Saturday 29 August 2009

"Poofters on Parade"

There, that got your attention didn't it?

I realised this afternoon when covering the Cardiff Mardi Gras, that it was 17 years ago as a callow youth that I first covered my first Gay march.

The event was EuroPride 1992 with a parade through central London followed by a party in South London. I dispatched the late Desmond Lapsley (a former BBC documentary producer) to cover events in the park and covered the march myself having found a pitch on Hungerford Bridge earlier that morning.


I'd arranged to meet up with Desmond later that day at the park and was particularly gratified on my journey down to watch some Metropolitan Police officers turning a blind eye to a group of gay men "kicking sh*t" out of a group of youths who had chanted "Batty Boys" at them in Brixton.

How times have changed - Back in those days it was Pride not Mardi Gras.

Chris Smith was the only openly gay MP - these day's even the Tories have Alan Duncan. There were no such thing as Civil Partnerships. And, if you were straight, you probably thought that AIDs was something to do with an iceberg, and if you were gay them some of your friends were probably very ill.

Congratulations to the organisers at today's Cardiff Mardi Gras for making it a safe, fun and family friendly event.

To view more photographs of Cardiff Mardi Gras 2009, please click here.



3 comments:

  1. Must admit, I've been to Cardiff Mardi Gras a number of times, on my own and with friends, and I have always felt utterly safe there - and I'm a straight middle aged woman.
    Took a friend and her young son with me today and we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves - thank you very much to the organisers for keeping this family friendly safe and peaceful event going - long may it continue

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirstie McBurnie30 August 2009 at 12:15

    This was the first time that I've been to one. As my friend Ruth has said, we all felt completely safe and had a great time.

    Well done to the organisers for a safe event for all to go and enjoy :-)

    ReplyDelete

 
| Home | Main Site | About Us | Contact Us | Follow us on Twitter | Join us on Facebook |