Friday 23 October 2009

Shane honoured by captaincy

Shane Williams will captain the Ospreys for the first time when they face Cardiff Blues at Cardiff City Stadium on tomorrow evening. With regular skipper Ryan Jones being selected amongst the replacements for the Magners League game, Director of Coaching Scott Johnson has handed Williams the captaincy for the evening, and the experienced winger says that he is honoured to be given the responsibility:

"It's a massive honour, and a privilege, to be handed the captaincy. It's something I've always wanted to do with the Ospreys if the chance ever came along, but you can never expect or imagine being asked to do it. It's a big game and I'm really looking forward to leading the team out as captain, it will be a proud moment for me.

"Am I captaincy material? I do talk a lot on the field and stress my opinion in training and in the dressing room, so it'll be nice to go out there on Saturday and do it in an official capacity for a change. Hopefully I can influence the team and help guide us to a good performance.

"I've got the experience, which is a big part of being a captain at any level of the game. Hopefully, I can use that for the benefit of the team on Saturday night. I've played all my senior rugby within the region, first for Neath and since 2003 with the Ospreys, so it's a big occasion for me personally to take the captaincy and I'm really looking forward to the game. We're up against a very good Blues side so we are going to need to get it right, and hopefully, I can play my part as captain."


Saturday's match will be the first time that Shane has taken the captain's armband during his professional career, but he says that he will be able to call on both his extensive experience and the help of his Ospreys colleagues to ensure things go smoothly:

"The only time I've been captain before was back at Amman United for the Under-16's, so that was a long time ago. I don't think that anything can really prepare you for being a captain, it's the type of job that you learn on the go. I've worked with some great captain's, none more so than Ryan, so while you try and take something from the best ones, I think it's important that you do it your own way. We've got a very experienced team anyway, with leaders all over the field, so no Ospreys captain is ever out there on their own, they always have the support of their team-mates to turn to.

"I've already said it is something I've really wanted to do. I'm not one of those who shouts and bawls for the sake of it, I like to try and make a point where I need to, or offer encouragement and support and that won't ever change, if I'm a captain or not. I don't know if I'm inspirational, Johnno seems to think so, he thinks that I can offer something in this role, so when I was given the opportunity and asked if I want to, I jumped at the chance. It's a tremendous honour for me, and hopefully, I've got enough rugby knowledge, and enough things to say that can help influence things, and help us win what is a big game against an exceptional team."

What do you think?
Welsh Icons News is for you, so leave a comment in the box below to start the debate.

If you've got news for us get in touch with the links below - 70,000 people in the Millennium Stadium or 30 in your community hall, of national importance or just for your home town, if it's Welsh we want to know about it.

We're always on the lookout for people who want to share their passion.
We're here as a platform for Wales and all things Welsh and welcome guests posters across all subjects.
We'll produce your work professionally and it'll look good on your CV - one day we may even pay you.


Contact Editor Dom Stockler and Assistant Editor Colin Ricketts.
domATwelshicons.org.uk rickettswritesATgmail.com
We look forward to hearing from you.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
| Home | Main Site | About Us | Contact Us | Follow us on Twitter | Join us on Facebook |